The <link http: snowboarding.transworld.net news farmers-almanac-20132014-us-winter-outlook-announced external-link-new-window>Farmers’ Almanac has spoken, and it said we are in for a wintry winter. Are you ready?
It’s time to consider whether you are buying a season pass this year and if you are, the deadlines for the best season pass deals in Vermont are approaching.
Estimate how many days you will ski at a resort to see if a season pass works out to your advantage. Frequent skier cards, Vermonter lift ticket discounts, and a variety of special event ticket deals are also options, and we outline them starting in the fall when details become available from the Vermont ski resorts. <link http: www.skimaven.com post _top external-link-new-window>To see last season's posting on lift ticket discounts, follow this link.
Here we’ll give you an idea of when you need to make a decision on whether you are going to put down money on a season pass this year. Get thinkin' and crunchin' numbers, people! The ski season is coming!
Northern Vermont Season Pass Deal Deadlines
- At Smugglers’ Notch, September 2 and then October 31 are their early-bird discount deadlines for season passes and Bash Badges. College students have an added alternative of a combo-pass with Bolton Valley; best price for that is had by October 31.
- Sugarbush’s best season pass rates are obtained by September 12. The resort has two peaks, and there's an option of a Mt. Ellen-only pass that costs about half the full price. There's also special pricing for adults aged 19 - 29. For college students, there's a pass that combines Sugarbush and Mad River Glen; buy it by November 6 for the best price.
- At Bolton Valley Resort, the best deal on a season pass is had by September 23. Unique offerings here are the night skiing season pass and the Value Pass that's good any day except Saturdays. For their ticket pack called the Powder Pass, you'll want to buy that before December 13. College students can buy a combo-pass with Smugglers' Notch; best price for that is by October 31.
- Jay Peak’s and Burke Mountain Resort’s best season pass rates are offered by October 14. Since Jay Peak purchased Burke Mountain Resort last year, skiers can buy a dual pass if they so desire. College ski passes for Jay and Burke are priced the best before September 4, then they jump up in price again after November 5.
- Mad River Glen passes cost less when you buy them by October 15. Mad River shareholders get a better price on passes. There's a midweek pass offering for skiers aged 19 - 29. Mad River offers a season pass for college students in conjunction with Sugarbush; buy it by November 6 for the best price. As for the Mad Card ticket packs, families should purchase them by October 15 (and get free kids' passes); individuals by December 15.
- At Cochran's Ski Area, early-bird deals are had by October 15, or by October 31 if you purchase the season pass online.
- Stowe Mountain Resort's best rates are found by October 31, including their college season pass.
- Middlebury College students get an amazing deal at the Middlebury Snow Bowl, and other college students get a good rate, too. Purchase before November 1. No other pass info available.
Southern Vermont Season Pass Deal Deadlines
- Buy passes by October 14 at Magic Mountain for the best value. Interesting pass: The Holiday White-Out pass is good throughout all the winter holiday periods — more than 19 days — to get you on the slopes during Christmas/New Year's Week, Martin Luther King weekend and President's Week. Also, four-packs of transferable tickets are available now while supplies last. The college pass is quite a deal.
- At Okemo, October 14 is the deadline for the best season pass prices. They have a new pass for those who are 19 - 29 years of age. There's also a Sunday-only season pass option. A new college pass includes Okemo Mountain Resort, Killington Resort, Pico Mountain and Mount Sunapee Resort. Get it before December 15.
- Mount Snow season passes are at their best rates before October 15. Sunday-only passes are a noteworthy offering. They've reworked their college pass offering to allow anyone 18 - 26 (student or not) to access a discounted pass; get if before December 15.
- October 15 is the early-bird discount deadline for Bromley season passes. Of note: In late-March, their midweek season pass will become a full season pass for the rest of the season.
- At Killington, get your best deals on season passes by October 17. A new college pass gives access to four resorts: Killington Resort, Okemo Mountain Resort, Pico Mountain at Killington and Mount Sunapee Resort. Get it before December 15.
- Pico's best pass pricing is had by October 17. Their Vermont K-12 student pass is a killer deal. Pico's in on the new college pass that covers Killington Resort, Okemo Mountain Resort, Pico Mountain and Mount Sunapee Resort. Purchase it before December 15.
- At Stratton, there's no indication of a early-bird rate deadline. For college-aged skiers and riders, there's a discounted pass for those aged 18 - 29, whether you are hitting the books or not. Stratton is also selling a combo pass with Mount Snow for 18- to 26-year-olds; purchase by December 15.
Photos: Smugglers' Notch (top) and Jay Peak Resort in Vermont.