I must be getting hungry. Perhaps that's why I'm dreaming about hitting some farmers' markets this weekend!
Farmers' markets are a wonderful resource in Vermont ski country. And increasingly in Vermont, you can graze at one of these markets in the winter as well as the summer months.
In the summer you'll find starter plants for your garden, then delicious veggies straight from the farm, fabulous baked goods, locally raised meats and handcrafted cheeses, handmade products and artwork. In the winter you'll find veggies that store well, plus all that other good stuff.
More and more the organizers of farmers' markets are also including live music. It makes for a great outing and you can truly be a localvore —you'll know exactly where your food came from!
Here's a run-down of farmers' markets near Vermont ski resorts. So, with a bit of planning in the summer or winter you can combine a visit to a resort with a visit to a market.
Fresh food + fresh air or fresh powder = heaven.
Summer Farmers Markets in Vermont Ski Towns
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture produces a handy Web site that has a <link http: www.vermontagriculture.com buylocal buy farmersmarkets_map.html external-link-new-window>statewide listing of many farmers' markets, including:
- Burlington on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Bolton Valley and Cochran's ski areas)
- Lyndonville on Fridays (near Burke Ski Resort)
- Morrisville on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Smugglers' Notch and Stowe ski resorts)
- Richmond on Fridays (near Cochran's Ski Area and Bolton Valley Resort)
- Stowe on Sundays (near Stowe Mountain Resort) |shown in photo|
- Waitsfield on Saturdays (near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski resorts) |<link http: www.lawphelon.com discover madrivervalley thesightsandsmells external-link-new-window vt. farmers market>photos|
- Waterbury on Thursdays (near Stowe, Mad River Glen, Bolton, Cochran's and Sugarbush ski resorts)
- Williston on Saturdays (near Bolton Valley and Cochran's ski areas)
- Londonderry on Saturdays (near Magic Mountain, Stratton and Bromley ski areas)
- Ludlow on Fridays (near Okemo Mountain ski resort)
- Middlebury on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Middlebury Snow Bowl)
- Rutland on Tuesdays and Saturdays (near Pico and Killington ski resorts)
- Townshend on Thursdays (near Stratton ski resort)
- Wilmington on Saturdays (near Mt. Snow ski resort)Windsor on Sundays (near Ascutney Mountain Resort)
- Woodstock on Wednesdays (near Suicide Six ski area)
Winter Farmers Markets in Vermont Ski Country
This <link http: www.vermontagriculture.com buylocal buy winterfarmersmarkets.html external-link-new-window winter>winter market listing includes:
- Burlington and Williston (near Bolton Valley ski resort and Cochran's)
- Lyndonville (near Burke ski area)
- Middlebury (near Middlebury Snow Bowl)
- Morrisville (near Smugglers' Notch and Stowe ski resorts)
- Waitsfield (near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski resorts)
- Bennington and Dorset (near Stratton and Bromley resorts)
- Rutland (near Pico and Killington)