It's that time of year again: farmers markets are opening in Vermont.
I know the downtown Burlington, Vt., farmers market has already opened. It was packed last Saturday! And I heard that Stowe's market has started and this Saturday the Waitsfield market begins.
I like getting some of my organic garden veggie starters at the farmers markets. Last weekend I picked up some super delicious spinach, and of course if they have some baked goods I must try that as well! Later in the season I'll have a wide variety of vegetables to choose from.
The Vermont Agency of Agriculture produces a handy Web site that has a <link http: www.vermontagriculture.com buylocal buy farmersmarkets_map.html _blank external-link-new-window>statewide schedule of many farmers' markets, including:
Northern Vermont Farmers Market Schedule In/Near Ski Towns
- Burlington on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Bolton Valley and Cochran's ski areas)
- Enosburg on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Jay Peak resort)
- Lyndonville on Fridays (near Burke Ski Resort)
- Morrisville on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Smugglers' Notch and Stowe ski resorts)
- Richford on Saturdays (near Jay Peak resort)
- Richmond on Fridays (near Cochran's Ski Area and Bolton Valley Resort)
- Stowe on Sundays (near Stowe Mountain Resort)
- Troy on Sundays (near Jay Peak)
- Waitsfield on Saturdays (near Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski resorts) |<link http: www.lawphelon.com discover madrivervalley thesightsandsmells _blank external-link-new-window vt. farmers market>photos|
- Waterbury on Thursdays (near Stowe, Mad River Glen, Bolton, Cochran's and Sugarbush ski resorts)
- Williston on Saturdays (near Bolton Valley and Cochran's ski areas)
Southern Vermont Farmers Market Schedule In/Near Ski Towns
- Londonderry on Saturdays (near Magic Mountain, Stratton and Bromley ski areas)
- Ludlow on Fridays (near Okemo Mountain ski resort)
- Manchester on Thursdays (near Bromley ski area)
- Middlebury on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Middlebury Snow Bowl)
- Rutland on Tuesdays and Saturdays (near Pico and Killington ski resorts)
- Townshend on Thursdays (near Stratton ski resort)
- Wilmington on Saturdays (near Mt. Snow ski resort)
- Windsor on Sundays (near Ascutney Mountain Resort)
- Woodstock on Wednesdays and Saturdays (near Suicide Six ski area)
Visit that Web site to get details on the time and location.